Wednesday, July 04, 2007

What's your goal?




I took off this morning like a rocket out of a bottle, like a ball of flame out of a Roman candle, like a…..string of poor puns fired off by a bad stand-up comic.

Sorry about that. Just got a bit carried away on this morning of Independence Day! Happy Fourth of July.

I was flying, though. At least for me.

After clocking the first mile in a fairly reasonable warm-up of 9:20, I then, in a steady, longer-slow-run sort of way, put the hammer down for 8:42, 8:42, 8:46, 8:52 and an 8:48 to wrap-up my 6 miles.

Felt good. Really good. A great way to start Independence Day.

Made me start thinking about what’s a reasonable pace for a half marathon. If I can train smart so my body doesn’t break down, I think shooting for a goal time rather than only a finish is a reasonable objective. Then again, maybe I should just dial it back a notch, listen to my body and focus on the train-without-injury-and-complete-the-race goal.

Obviously, I have a bit more time to ponder that question. I haven’t even signed up for the race yet. I’ll probably go with Kansas City’s Half, though Tulsa has a race a few weeks later that is supposed to be a well-organized and fun run.

I definitely have moved ahead to embrace the idea of a half.

As I was listening recently to Steve Runner on his Phedippidation’s Podcast, he said something that grabbed me by the shoulders and shook some sense in to me. The difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank for a race, he said.

It’s not the piece of paper so much, but that the runner has set a goal.

“For many, the goal of running a half marathon road race, 13.1 miles from start to finish, is an impressive life-affirming goal that can be achieved through hard work and persistent effort,” Steve Runner stated during Fdip No. 103.

In addition to weekly encouragement and tips, Phedippidations is offering me some additional motivation as I prepare for a fall race.

Phedippidations is a driving force behind an intriguing concept of a virtual road race literally involving runners all over the globe. This October will mark the 2nd Annual Phedippidations World Wide Half Marathon. They also have added a "Kick the Couch" 5K road race this year.

The event is not going to occur in any single location. Instead, runners everywhere can sign up online and then run an organized half marathon or just 13.1 miles that they map out themselves. By participating with a run on the weekend of Oct. 13-14, or, like myself the following weekend, runners will be able to “feel that you are part of a community of friends all over the globe” by supporting the event’s premise of “Think Global, Run Local.”


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).