Saturday, June 07, 2008

Burns oil, but still running


Cosmic coincidence? Maybe.

I choose to consider it part of the Universe’s ongoing plot to mess with my head.

The same week I mark another year on the planet, my beloved car – Ok, so it’s a 1998 Saturn and not necessarily beloved – decides to flip its odometer to 100,000 miles.

As I tend to do in these situations, I internalized the car’s mileage and considered it some sort of reflection on the hard driving I have put my body through over the past four decades.

That brings us to today’s half marathon.

I was feeling a bit like the oil-burning clunker that I drive to work. And I wanted to prove that I have some tread left on the tires and some giddy-up remaining in the engine.

Didn’t set any speed records – or even a PR – at the Hospital Hill Half Marathon. But in the 80-plus-degree heat and high humidity, I didn’t break down and need a tow to the finish line, either.
Still working on a race report. I did finally get to meet Topher and his family. He not only writes an award-winning blog, but he’s a heck of a nice guy and a good runner.

1 comment:

Topher said...

Dude, way to show those hills who's boss! It was wicked awesome to meet you, finally, in person. I hope you appreciate the fact that I let you win today, and by a lot.

Funny you'd post about your car. I went and bought a car after the race today. We've been a one car (minivan) family for four years. We'd finally realized that we can't make it work any longer now that the kids are older and shuttling them where they need to be and me to and from work just got to be too crazy. I'm now the proud owner of a 1991 Camry off Craigslist. It's a beater, but it's got AC which is all I could think about after this morning.

Have a great recovery week!