Monday, June 25, 2007

Marathon envy

Before hitting the streets Saturday like a thundering herd, all the participants of the group run divided into pace groups.

Forming a circle of those aiming for about 10-minutes-per-mile for our weekly long runs, one by one we said our name and our target race. Out of about 35 of us, almost everyone declared that 26.2 was their goal for the fall. When it came to my turn, “Kansas City….half” squeaked out of my throat.

Not really sure what the problem is. It’s not like 13.1 miles is only a walk around the block. Training smart – having fun, enjoying the running and avoiding injury – this summer and then starting – and completing – a half marathon in October is a worthy endeavor.

Somehow, some way, at least for now, I will have to get over my marathon envy and do what’s right for me.

We’ll see how it goes.

After the introductions Saturday, we went out for a jaunt. I did 8 miles – and felt great.

Taking a few days off toward the end the week seemed to do the trick. My legs felt much better. When I had run the same distance the week before, I felt a lot more fatigued toward the end and for the rest of the day.

Saturday, after my run, I did a little cross training by taking my kids to a barbecue contest in Lenexa, then swimming and then out to dinner for pizza. It’s important to refuel your body after a workout, right?

1 comment:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Well, gees if you are merrily running 8 miles four months before your half, I would say you are ahead of the game! I have a full in October and I am not back up to 8 miles yet!