Saturday, May 24, 2008

Laughing at the lightning


Not sure whether it was faith or fear of self loathing.

Thunder rocked the house – and me awake – in the wee hours this morning. Crap, I thought, that’s going to be a fun run this morning.

The rain pounded on the roof. A giant flash of lightning illuminated our room and more thunder crackled outside.

Lightning already kept me off the streets one day this week. Not today, I thought.

I dragged myself out of bed.

Maybe it was faith that the skies would clear by the time I drove out to meet the Saturday morning group for our long run.

Or maybe it was fear that I would stay in bed, listen to the rain and then by the time I woke up I would see nothing but sunshine and blue sky, hating myself and my laziness for the rest of the long weekend.

Either way, I got out there. The group was quite a bit smaller. Maybe a bunch were scared away by the weather. Or maybe a bunch were just out of town.

The course had some monster hills again. My legs started feeling heavy. Thinking of my 8K on Monday, I decided to take it easy and save a little for the race in a couple days.

I logged 10 and a half and called it a day.

Now I can fire up the grill tonight, sip a beer or maybe a glass of wine – or both – with a clear conscience. Once again, I realize, it’s great to be a runner.

No comments: