Friday, May 23, 2008

Taunted by thunder, tempted by dumb decisions

Stay flexible and be prudent.

I’m trying, I guess. Even though that’s not usually how I roll.

Wednesday night as I dozed off I was doing a few calculations and realized I would be on track to put in 30+ miles this week. That was a satisfying thought.

But don’t count your miles before you run them. As I woke the next morning, lightning bolts flashed and thunder laughed at me.

Rain drops won’t make me melt, I figured. But a lightning strike would leave me a little crispy. I certainly don’t have the speed to evade lightning bolts.

I dragged myself out of bed, but I didn’t run. So much for those 7 miles. So this is what it feels like to make a prudent decision, I thought.

Today I rose to a beautiful sunshiny morning. Should I get in the 7 I missed yesterday?

Well, tomorrow I am supposed to do 12. Then I have an 8K race on Monday. And the Half is coming up the following week.

A full 7? Not a good idea.

But I did get out. Ran 4. See? I’m being flexible and making good decisions.

Feels kind of strange. Maybe if I can keep it up eventually I’ll get used to how it feels.

1 comment:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I am usually a fan of the "make stupid running decisions and end up injured" philosophy :-) It's worked for me so far!