Sunday, July 20, 2008

High-altitude cross training



So there I was, 10,000 feet up, and staring at my running shoes. My running shoes stared back.

And I didn’t go running.

It was vacation, after all. I didn’t mean to take a vacation from running. It just sort of worked out that way.

Last week I flew to Denver with a mob of family members. Between aunts, uncles, cousins, a grandmother and a very good family friend, we just about had enough people for our own traveling circus.

On the first day, I did strap on my Mizunos and go for a run around Denver. I cruised by Coors Field, the Lower Downtown area and then back up the state capitol.

Felt pretty good considering that I was a mile above sea level. It also was fun to get the runner’s view-vantage point to see how much my hometown has changed over the years.

But then we piled into a couple of vans and headed for the high country. Stayed in a cabin that was at least 9,000 feet high with a few dirt roads and a bunch of rocky trails nearby.

Between all of the horseback riding, river rafting and hiking – I did do a bunch of mondo hikes – I just didn’t make the time for a morning run. Best hike of the week: A steep, winding three-mile trail that takes you from the rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison down to a beautiful secluded reservoir. Then, of course, after visiting the site known as Hermit’s Rest, my son and I had to drag ourselves back up. The 7-year-old Ozling and his love of hiking in the mountains and fierce determination left his Daddy proud.

I drank more beer in the past week than I have in the past six months. Maybe as many as three or four for the week. I didn’t end up paying too big a price. Only came back with a couple more pounds than I left with.

My training schedule was waiting for me upon my return. It’s only a piece of paper, but I think it was glaring at me.

I realize I can’t get this week of training back. It’s important, I realize. Just before I left, I did take the plunge and sign up for one of those lengthy fall races.

Definitely time to get back to work.

Can we just call this past week a bout of high-altitude cross training?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think periodic extended rest periods are important to remaining sharp - and mentally more than physically. A week in the mountains with good food, good company, and good beer just might make you a better runner this week. The trip sounded awesome!