Tuesday, July 08, 2008

An oasis for runners


I figured something out this morning.

You’ll probably think it’s silly that I haven’t noticed before now.

But here it is: I’m not a camel.

No, really. I just checked. I looked in the mirror – it was kind of hard to turn my head around to the back, but I did it – and found that I didn’t have any humps. Not even one.

So, I must ask myself, why have I been wandering in the desert without any water?

Well, in this case the desert consists of the streets in my neighborhood that I use to piece together routes of a few miles during the weeks. But on these steamy summer mornings, I might as well be running in a desert.

Hydration is important under those conditions. But I never liked to carry water. The sloshing in the bottles drove me nuts. Trying to stash bottles along my route didn’t really work all that well either.

I saw those runner’s fuel belts, but they always looked uncomfortable. I know how bad it feels when my shirt rubs in the wrong places. Can’t imagine what my hips would look life after five miles of chafing against a fuel belt.

But then I saw one of those Amphipod belts. I got a small one a while back to stash my cell phone in on longer runs. My ankle had a nasty run in with a pot hole a few years back and I made the not-wise decision to walk back home, more than a mile. I decided that if I ever have another problem like that again, I want to be able to get on the cell phone and call the Mrs. Oz taxi to come pick me up. But I digress.

The point is, the Amphipod belt worked great. No chafing. It made me start wondering, hmmmm….look at that other Amphipod belt that comes with a form-fitting water bottle tilted to the side. Bet that wouldn’t slosh too crazily.

I picked it up, admiring it, each time I went into the local running store over the past month. Price seemed a bit steep, but I finally brought one home.

It was amazing this morning as I took it along and was able to take a few gulps of water at two miles, then again at four. I didn’t feel nearly as run down at the end of the run.

So, to review, here are the big lessons: 1. I am not a camel. 2. Runner’s need water.

Give me time. I just might start to figure out some of this running stuff. Eventually.

1 comment:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I've always wanted to try one of those, but waist things never seem to work for me. The whole "having hips" thing means that the belt shimmies up to the narrowest part of my waist, which always feels way too high...