Sunday, March 30, 2008

You'd think a Tiger would be cheering for the Wildcats

If you tell my college roommates, I’ll deny it.

Today, I – involuntarily, and possibly accidentally, I’ll say – let out a scream of “C’mon! Pound those guys!” while watching a certain basketball game that was determining the final participant in the Final Four.

My encouragement was for the team in white.

Back in the day, my college days, while living in our apartment – in Columbia, Missouri – we eagerly anticipated the chance to walk across campus and see the epic battles between our mighty Tigers and those prairie chickens, er, Jayhawks from the other side of the state line in Kansas.

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, I didn’t have a team to root for in this year’s tournament. I’ve always liked Roy Williams (again, if you tell my boys from the college days, I’ll deny that too), and I like the ACC hoops tradition, so I had been rooting for Carolina.

But this afternoon, especially during the final 16 seconds, I was cheering, actually shouting, for those guys from Lawrence. They look good. Self seems like a good guy. I think they might do it.

If they do, and if anybody should claim I was excited, or even happy, about the prospect, I’ll deny it.

2 comments:

Iron Jayhawk said...

Your secret is safe with me...

Nancy said...

Anyone who calls me brilliant gets a personal invitation. :D The next virtual race is on. 10k on the 10th of May. Bring your best caveman inpersonation. :D