Monday, August 27, 2007

Around and around he goes




A veteran bartender offered me some sage advice one summer when I was working at a bar and grill during college. Don’t mix drinks. If you start the evening drinking tequila, stick with it. If you are going with wine, drink wine.

Fill an evening’s activities with a little tequila, some bourbon, some wine and trouble is sure to find you.

It was good advice.

Hope it doesn’t apply to running shoes.

I logged 400 miles on my Sauconys and it was time to get a new pair. I went to my local running store and the shoe guru had me walk around a bit so he could check out my feet. I had been in a motion-control shoe and he said that seemed like overkill. I could use a stability shoe, he said.

So after trying on four pairs, I picked some Mizunos that seemed to offer the best fit.

I took them out for a spin on a local high school track this morning. The shoe store will exchange them if they are not too dinged up. They felt pretty good. Plus, they seem to weigh less than my old pair.




The rubberized surface was probably good for the shoes, my feet and knees. But going around, and around, and around in a circle about made me go crazy. Only did 3.2 miles, but that was plenty.

After all the foot trouble and other assorted problems I had last year, I am nervous about changing brands of shoes in the middle of training. The Sauconys seemed to be working OK.

But I am going to take the guru’s advice and stick with the Mizunos. Let’s hope things end up better with this than the result of a night out on the town swilling margaritas, Jack and Cokes and a gin and tonic for good measure.

No comments: