Thursday, August 23, 2007

It's crowded in there




A pair of siblings from the Running Blog Family has been rattling around inside my head lately.

Danielle and Leah chronicled recent leave-it-all-out-on-the-course-and-then-some race experiences. They are a couple of gutsy athletes. Their reports were inspiring. Their reports were scary.

They psyched me out.

I must admit to a phobia. If it were given an official name, it probably would go by the moniker of emptytankaphobia. I fear running out of gas while on a run. I worry a bit on a long training run, but it really grips me during a race.

As a result, as I start to sense fatigue, I dial it back. Often I am too cautious. I have finished many a run thinking that I still had plenty of gas left over.

It even happened a little during the recent Race for the Cure 5K. The race was crowded. I lined up near the front of the pack, but still encountered walkers and slow, slow runners clogging up the road during the first couple of miles. Not a big deal. I realize the Komen runs are more community events than real races. That’s fine. It’s a great cause and I love to participate. I was glad for the chance to expose the little Ozlings to the experience.

Still, I wanted to push myself. I wove through the crowd as much as possible.

I felt good and was moving at a decent pace, 7:29 the first mile and 7:25 the second. Then I encountered some decent hills. And the hot sun. I felt my energy start to fade. Not a lot. Not so much that I was worried about my ability to finish. But I dialed it back. At least a little.

I did the last mile in 7:40. And I did the final .15 of a mile in a little over a minute. I logged a 23:39 for the race, according to my unofficial timekeeping on my Garmin. Not terrible for me considering the crowd and the heat. But it was more than a minute slower than a 5K I did last fall. I am in better shape now. I should have done better.

Leah and Danielle and many other athletes manage to push through the pain and discomfort. They pay their dues with determined training. Then they cash in with performances that can make them proud.

I’ve got to find a way to come out on top with my head games. My heart and legs feel stronger and stronger as I log the miles this summer.

Now if I could only find a way to strengthen my mind.

1 comment:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

Thanks for the shout out, but I think one should avoid trips to the ambulance! :-)