Monday, November 05, 2007

Step away from the plastic pumpkin

Being a gang leader is a dirty business.

Like any good dad, I took the crew out last week for a little trick or treating action. As the brains behind the operation, and, in this case, also the hired muscle to guard the gang during the heists, I get a cut of the loot.

This definitely is not our first year with this business, so the Ozlings knew the drill. Even without being asked they came to me with mounds of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups soon after getting home with the plastic pumpkins brimming with sugary goodness.

Sure, it was fun. And, I must admit to a sweet tooth. But this is a mess – definitely not a good situation during a time when I have been cutting back on my running mileage.

I’ve been going on a candy bender.

Only ran once during the week last week. Blame a little extra craziness at work and the general hectic pace of life with the Ozlings.

I did get out Saturday for one more 10 miler this season with the Saturday group. They have a winter session that runs through early January, but I don’t think I’ll sign up. I’ve got my sights set on rejoining them in mid January to start prepping for a half marathon in the spring .

This morning I took a spin around the neighborhood for a few miles. Hope to get on the road at least twice more during the work week and then get in a long run on Saturday.

I surfed some marathon advice Web sites over the weekend in search of a new off-season running schedule. Found a couple things, but nothing that really jumped out at me as the one I was seeking. I’ll keep looking.

In the meantime, I’ll keep running. And digging deep for a little extra willpower to bypass the candy. But maybe I just slather some peanut butter on a mini Hershey’s chocolate bar one more time…..

1 comment:

Topher said...

I'm wallowing in regret this evening. I made the critical decision to take every last morsel of Halloween candy into the office this morning so it's out of the house. I'm craving some chocolate right now, but it's good to know I wasn't the only one who caved last week.