Thursday, January 17, 2008

Conspiracy?

Apparently running only a couple times a week – and then on one of those days going for 7, 8 or more miles – isn’t too smart.

Or so my right foot has been telling me.

Twinges and tenderness on my forefoot are symptoms of an overuse injury. My shoes have north of 350 miles on them so that probably isn’t helping anything.

It’s mostly been a scheduling thing.

Take this week, for example.

I ran long on Sunday. So on Monday I wanted to take a day off. Then the boy Ozling woke up ill with a mild fever that lasted for two days. Mrs. Oz and I took split shifts – I stayed home in the morning and she worked and then we switched for the afternoons.

Mrs. Oz needed to leave extra early on Tuesday, so that prevented me from getting out without causing major disruptions for the family.

On Wednesday I had to hit the road around 6 a.m. to make my way to Topeka for a business meeting.

Today we got dumped on by a mere three inches. It was enough to cancel school, however. The wimps. By the time I got the driveway shoveled, the cars cleaned off and a strategy worked out for what to do with the Ozlings (daycare is also closed on snow days. No, we didn’t leave them home with the cat. Hmmm. That’s an idea to keep in mind for the future, though.), again, no time to run.

On Friday, I have to get to work in the pre-dawn hours to work on a project.

I am starting to wonder whether there is some sort of conspiracy to keep me off the streets.

All of the rest seems to have done my foot some good. It’s not hurting nearly as much today as it was earlier in the week.

The really good news is that my running group sessions start up in another week or so.

I’ll pick up a running schedule for a spring half marathon or two. It will give me a daily guide to keep me a bit more consistent and lock in a weekly appointment for a long run.

I can’t wait.

1 comment:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

My life is surrounded by such conspiracies! (and yeah, from experience, I know that only doing long runs a couple times a week is not the way to go!)