Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Have you seen my mojo?

I’ve been getting out there, in balmy weather and bad, to log some miles.

But, Dude, I can’t seem to find my mojo.

Following a training schedule again and looking forward to some halfs later in the spring certainly is helping. But you know what would really help?

I need a race.

Before my lovely Ozlings unleashed a near case of the flying yarkies, or a possible strep attack, I was planning to do the Groundhog Run a couple weeks ago. Running underground to get beautiful 70-degree temps in February certainly has some appeal as I look out the window to see the latest batch of the fluffy white stuff covering the ground.

But alas, I was feverish and weak – moreso than usual – and had to log a Did Not Start (or was it a DNR because I did not register?) for the Groundhog.

As I mentioned, the ground is covered with fluffy flakes so this isn’t exactly prime racing season here in the Land of Oz and surrounding environs. Not many, if any, races to pick from in the coming weeks. What to do, what to do?

Then along comes Topher telling me about Non-Runner Nancy and her 9 on the 9th!

Perfect!

You can tell I’m psyched because, ordinarily, I’m not one to go with gratuitous exclamation points.

So I’m going to sign up (not exactly sure of the procedure, but I’ll figure something out) and on Saturday I’m going to do the run. I’ll bring the proper virtual mindset, imagining all the rabbits at the starting line prepared to smoke me and my other fellow middle-of-the-pack runners that will be smoked –and maybe even impressed – by my steady pace and dogged determination. This thing is awesome. She's got a race logo and everything.

This event is like a ray of sunshine brightening up an otherwise bleak winter landscape.

1 comment:

Iron Jayhawk said...

Looks like I'm all set for the 9 on the 9th, too! Hopefully this will jump start those mojo juices.

I wouldn't worry too much about the underground run...I know some folks who've done it and it gets brutally stuffy and gross in there. :)