Sunday, February 24, 2008

Time to go


We sincerely were glad to see you when you first arrived.

Come on in and let me take your coat. Can I get you a drink? How’s the family? Any new pictures?

You cracked us up with your stories about the latest adventures of the little ones. We reminisced and enjoyed the visit by a friend we had not seen in quite some time.

Sit, dinner’s ready. We ate, we laughed, we opened a bottle of wine. And then another. Good times. Good times.

Then the hour started to get late. We didn’t want to be rude hosts. But as our eyes grew heavy and we stole glances at the clock, you didn’t notice. You weren’t even slowing down. Midnight came and went. 1 a.m. soon was in the rearview mirror.

We’ve got to work tomorrow. Then you cranked up the music. And started dancing. On the furniture. Dude, you are going to wake the children. Craaackkk! There goes a table leg.

Uncool. Very uncool.

This essentially is how I am feeling about winter.

Fall completely rocks. I even like to see winter arrive. The crispness to the air is refreshing. A blanket of snow is absolutely beautiful. I was thrilled when the season started.

But now? Enough already.

I know, I know. It can't last too much longer, and others have had it far worse. Our old home in Milwaukee probably won’t dig out from all the snow until June. Chicago has not exactly enjoyed a picnic. But we’ve been smacked around by our share of ice storms this year. The snow keeps coming – and these jokers in this town don’t seem to know how to plow or shovel sidewalks. They keep shutting down the schools, exacerbating the daily chaos of our lives. My scheduled runs have had to be scrapped a few times.

When I do go out, it often devolves into a struggle to stay upright rather than a quality workout. Thursday morning didn’t seem so bad. At first. Then the sleet arrived.

My glasses have fogged over before. Running in the rain, I have had them covered in drops. Thursday was a first. The glasses soon were covered in a solid glaze of ice.

Rubbing them with a gloved finger did nothing. I needed an ice scraper like the one I use on my car, only smaller. Anybody know where I can get a miniature scraper?

4 comments:

Margo said...

Yeah, I don't think I could move to Kansas or Missouri. My hubby went to school in Joplin, MO and he says the weather's not as bad there...but I don't think I could live in a city as small as that. It's 74 degrees here in Houston today. I had to get my run in this morning before it got too warm. You're not liking me very much right now, are you?! ;>)

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

I just had this conversation with my officemate right before I started reading this. I even love the snow! But seriously! I am tiring of single digit temps every day! Of course then I started bragging about going to FL for a conference next week :-)

Colleen said...

Actually, yes! The gloves that the mushers wear in the Iditarod have built in little "wiper/scrapers" to solve your problem. I think you can get them at Cabela's.

Topher said...

Honest to goodness, I think about you everytime I get on the treadmill when I don't want to run outside. I remember you saying you have no treadmill, and if you want to run, it has be outside. If for no other reason than for you, I hope spring comes soon.