Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Johnny Cash, Ninja runner



That whole man in black thing seemed to work well for Johnny Cash.

I don’t recommend it for a runner who gets his miles in before the sun comes up.

The wind shirt I grabbed out of the closet this morning did its job in keeping me warm. But black tights, a black wind shirt and a black hat didn’t make me stand out very well to passing motorists.

I know this because the newspaper guy just about sideswiped me and then nearly took my head off as he chucked the morning news out his van window to the driveway I happened to be passing at the time.

I completely failed to heed the recent sartorial advice of Half-Fast who urged runners in the dark to do their part for safety.

“Before I run in the dark I try and make myself more reflective than a disco ball and just as cool. The thought of getting hit by a car is more than a little unpleasant, which is why I wear reflective shoes, reflective pants, a reflective shirt, reflective gloves and of course the ensemble wouldn’t be complete without my über-cool reflective slap bands,” Half-Fast wrote recently.

Just this past weekend I was checking out one of those reflective vests. I walked out of the store without buying it, though, so it didn’t offer much protection this morning.

Then to add to my missteps, I was bored with my typical routes so I went exploring. It took me along this nasty busy road that lacked sidewalks. Do my frequent leaps from the road to the grassy shoulder as the cars whizzed by make this count as cross training?

I got my miles in this morning, but basically I feel lucky that I didn’t become a hood ornament on somebody’s car.

I am going to have to make some adjustments to the whole Johnny Cash-Ninja look before I hit the road next time.

1 comment:

Topher said...

I keep meaning to get a vest, too. I looked at Dick's but thought $15 was a little steep. Then I just googled reflective vests and found several safety equipment companies that sell them in a variety of styles (not just construction worker types) for much cheaper even when you figure in shipping. I haven't bought one yet, but need to.

Are you doing the 9 on the 9th?