Saturday, September 22, 2007

Fun with Hills




Just as I am making peace with training and running for a half marathon, I go out this morning for 10 miles with one guy who just finished a marathon last weekend and two others who finished an ultra - 50 miles! - the weekend before. They all are thinking about running Kansas City's marathon -- in less than a month. Wahoo!! -- the full marathon and not the half!
I think my legs, knees and ankles would actually fall off instead of just aching if I tried anything close to such a stunt.
I contemplated the meaning of all this -- for once I think they just might be the crazy ones instead of me -as we ran a beautiful course near Lake Jacomo in Lee's Summit, Missouri. Beautiful scenery and beautiful weather and a beautiful course -- if you like hills.
Tried to capture the roller-coaster like elevation with a snapshot from my Garmin. I obviously am in need of some training for producing images for the Web because the quality isn't great. If you get a magnifying glass out you can see for yourself. But trust me, they were steep.


1 comment:

Iron Jayhawk said...

Yikes. Hills are very intimidating. I made the mistake of looking at the elevation charts for KC...I'm going to be screwed coming from the nice flat, fast chicago. Oh well...looks like I'll just walk the hills...no harm, no foul. Right? :)

I don't remember Lee's Summit being that hilly. Although it's been a while since I've been there...