Friday, September 07, 2007

Welcome back legs

My eyes popped open in the wee hours Thursday.

As I stared at the dark outside and at an alarm clock indicating that it was not yet 4 a.m. – way too early, even for me -- I wondered whether my legs were up for a jaunt. I also started going over the struggle to squeeze in all of my planned long runs, Cub Scout outings, family camping trips and other assorted obligations over the next month leading up to the half marathon.

The upcoming weekends are going to be hectic, but my thoughts focused on the concern of the moment. How were my legs?

A few minor aches and twinges. But a lot better.

After pondering life's questions big and small and staring into the darkness for an hour, the clock said 5:00.

Let’s run.

Got out the door and, indeed, I felt pretty good.

Take it easy, take it easy. Just work out a few kinks.

After about a mile, I took stock and found no aches and plenty of juice. Set it on cruise control. The schedule called for six. I was thinking I would do about four. But at the two-mile turnaround, I felt so good that I decided to press onward. Maybe 5? Aww, what the heck. Let’s do 6.

As it turned out, the last mile felt a little sluggish. But it was good to get out there.

I was heading out of town later that morning for a business trip. Stretching my legs felt good as I faced the prospect of a three-hour drive. Now we’ll get to see whether I am truly back in action as I go for 10 to 12 on Saturday.

No comments: