Friday, October 26, 2007

Drifting

I’m like a rudderless boat piloted by a skipper without a map.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing.

It’s going to take some adjustment, though.

For months now I have been guided by a daily grid detailing either rest or a certain number of miles I need to run. With only a few exceptions, I remained true to the training schedule, keeping my eyes on the race at the end of the road.

Now, though, I don’t really have a big race in mind. I don’t have a schedule.

Before the race, I didn’t want to start thinking too much about what comes after a half marathon. That would have been cart-before-the-horse, chickens-before-they-hatch thinking – rather presumptuous and possibly bringing on bad luck. Guess I am superstitious about these things.

I got out twice this week. Tuesday was just an easy four miler. Today, the Ozlings were out of school and I took the day off work. We’re going camping later and I need to pack. This morning I was able to go run. While the sun was shining. What an odd experience.

Didn’t really have a course in mind. Before I left, one of the Ozlings asked how far I intended to go. 5, maybe 6, I replied. I just went meandering. 6.5 miles later, I was home. It felt great. The leaves are starting to turn. I got to catch a better glimpse of some of the fancy houses along parts of one of my favorite courses. Some folks have really gussied up their places with cool Halloween decorations.

My immediate need is to figure out some kind of training routine. Having a schedule motivates me to get out of bed in the morning and lace up the shoes. Marathon and half-marathon schedules are in ready supply. Not really sure where to find an off-season conditioning schedule. I am in fairly decent shape at the moment, if I do say so myself. Don’t want to lose all of this.

Eventually, like Topher, I will want to set some bigger goals and get a bit more serious again. Next fall could be interesting.

4 comments:

Iron Jayhawk said...

Why not plug in some stats into the Runners World SmartCoach program? During my 'off season' I try to adhere to one of those programs simply for maintenance. Why not pick a spring half as your 'warm up' for the 2008 season? I think we may do the Olathe Half Mary and use that momentum to catapult us into the rest of the Half Ironman season and then cruise on into the marathon (at least for me...IM for Mike).

Topher said...

I asked my siblings-in-law who just ran the St George Marathon together what they did the week after their race. Varied responses, but all them said that they figured out they'd better get some races scheduled or they'll lose momentum. I had such a blast after last week's race that I went straight home and started looking for my next one.

I'm probably going to do the Pilgrim Pacer 10K on the 10th at Shawnee Mission Park and then a New Year's race.

I think Running Jayhawk has it figured out. I'm most definately going to do another half in the spring (either the Eisenhower or Olathe), and I'm about 98% sure I'm going to do the KC full in a year. Reason: I think if I don't have something set, I'll slack off and lose everything I spent this year working for.

See, Oz, us Jayhawks are purty smart.

Enjoy the campout.

Greg On the Run said...

Good job on completing the half. Now register for the next race. And get out there and run.

Found you on the Complete Running Network.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing the WWHM. The off-season can be a great time to get better without the intensity of training for a race. Enjoy choosing your goals and running routine.