Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Race day is coming....

Weird. And kind of spooky.

I went through nearly my entire run this morning without seeing another semi-nocturnal creature in running shoes. I did see a fox scamper across the street. That was cool. But only at the end did I encounter a pair of other runners.

It almost seemed as if some runner’s version of martial law had been imposed on the area. The Kansas City Marathon (and for folks like me, the Half Marathon) is only days away so everybody in the city must taper.

Even if that’s the case, I don’t think I caused too much of a violation. Did an easy 5 miles. Felt pretty good, for the most part.

The flipping of the calendar pages leaves me unable to deny that I am another year older. It would be nice to think I am wiser, but I cannot offer the same tangible proof.

A year ago, I realize now, my DNF at the marathon in Milwaukee should have been a do not start. My foot was hurting so bad and I developed a case of IT Band Syndrome in the final weeks of training that I misguidedly decided that an extreme taper was the way to go.

I didn’t run a step for at least two weeks, and maybe closer to three, before the race. When we got to the city, my foot was bothering me even as I walked from the hotel over to the expo. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I was doomed from the start and should have realized it.

So far, my plan seems to be working this year. I decided to aim for a Half Marathon and dial back the distance in training. I did a 13 miler and a series of 12 milers, but that was the maximum distance.

Can’t say I haven’t experienced some discomfort and twinges, but it is nothing like a year ago. I think I’m ready.

I am looking forward to it. Hope it’s fun, though I am a bit anxious. I have done the distance before, but I just can’t seem to escape the self doubt and mind games before a race.

I’ll take it as a good omen that the latest weather forecast – I know, I know. Like we have any reason to really believe the prognostications of these witch doctors with Doppler radar -- is calling for race time temperatures in the low 50s.

Plus, I made it through this morning’s run without getting dumped on. Only as I placed my key in the front door did I get a flash of lightning and a rumble of thunder.

3 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland said...

It's totally going to be fun! I think after suffering through training for a marathon, that the half distance becomes remarkably funner :-)

Topher said...

Oz,

Good luck Saturday! I'm stoked, especially to see this Saturday should be nothing like the Days of Noah last Saturday. I'm planning on lining up somewhere around the 10min pace group and taking it totally easy and just enjoy the race.

If there are donuts at the finish line, that's where you'll find me. I haven't had a donut for about two months, thinking that they'll taste better after the half-marathon.

Topher
www.illrunfordonuts.blogspot.com

Iron Jayhawk said...

You've put in the miles and your body will go into autopilot tomorrow. Here's to a good race...once far speedier than what I'll run!!

Cheers!